Thursday, June 15, 2006

Saskatchewan - land of the prarie dog

Well this blog has certainly not met expectations, but to be honest, I don't care. Well, that's not true. I care. I care deeply my comrades. But as mentioned previously, public internet connections are a rarity in many of the towns I stay in, making frequent updates difficult if not altogether impossible. So I've resigned myself to updating this thing bi-monthly.

I'm now in Saskatchewan, Maple Creek, I think. For the past 5 days I've been fighting the most vicious headwinds I've ever encountered in my life. Strangely enough, within moments of crossing the BC/Alberta border, I was blasted with an unrelenting east wind blowing at what must have been close to 40kmh. At that point I could laugh it off, knowing, hoping, that it would soon swing to the west and things would continue according to plan. WRONG. Pain. So much pain followed. The mountains were childs play in comparison to this nonsense. Every morning I'd wake up only to have my hopes crushed the moment I stuck my head out the tent. So off to the coal mines I went, hammering away, head down, tears streaming from my eyes, wondering what in gods name did I do to deserve this beating. Regardless of the adversity I carried on. Why? Because I am a soldier. Nay, a warrior. For 7 hours of the day, I'd make approximately 65-80km progress depending on wind speed. Finally today, I awoke to a vicious south west wind blowing at a whopping 45kmh. Bliss! Joy! I danced in my long johns outside my tent thanking the weather gods for this glorious, long over-due gift. So here I am, 50km down, another 130 to go until my final destination--swift current. And to sweeten this lovely day, the forecast calls for winds out of the west for the next 7 days! Dues paid in full, yo.

I see approximately 2 prarie dogs every 3 km here. They usually hang out in the middle of the highway--doing what, I don't know. When I see them I scream "PRARIE DOOOOOOGGGGGG"!!!! and they usually scramble into the roadside brush. I did encounter one cavalier fellow that mearly stared as I beared down on him howling my battle cry. At the last moment he jumped aside, barely missing my front wheel and certain death by spoke. I suppose he gets his kicks playing chicken with oncoming traffic. Local bad boy.

I have much to regale you folks with from my days spent in BC, but due to time constraints here at the tourism office it will have to wait until another time.

Until next time. PEACE OUT!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home